Adding fractions assignment 2

 Watch the video below for instructions on adding fractions with different denominators.


Today's assignment will focus on adding fractions with unlike denominators.  Our last assignment had a few questions with unlike denominators.  Today we will focus even more on adding fractions with unlike denominators.  We use fractions in our everyday lives.  There are also many jobs that require a good understanding of fractions.  Carpenters and mechanics use fractions in all of their work.  We see fractions when dealing with money, looking at how much gas is in our vehicles, and in cooking and baking.  It is important to have a good understanding of fractions to help in our everyday activities.

When I am looking at adding fractions, it is very important that I make sure I have the same denominators.  If the denominators are the same, then I leave the denominator, and add the numerators.  For example:

1/4 + 2/4 = 3/4
I leave the denominator as 4, and add the numerators.  

If the denominators are different, I must find the least common denominator between the 2 fractions, then find the equivalent fractions before I add.  For example:

1/2 + 3/4

I must find the lowest common denominator between the 2 fractions.  The common denominator in this case will be 4.  So I end up with:
2/4 + 3/4

Now I can add:
2/4 + 3/4 = 5/4

If I am asked, this is now an improper fraction.  If I am asked I can now make a mixed fraction of 
1 1/4

Click on the link below to practice for today.